Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The one where I was an hour late to a 75 minute long exam.

I took (as most science majors do) General chemistry during my freshman year of undergrad. It was my least favorite class. There wasn’t anything wrong with the teacher, and the material was actually relatively interesting as these kinds of classes go. The thing that I couldn’t wrap my head around was the math. Not actually doing the math (I had a calculator), but I could never figure out which equation went with which situation. The exams were usually open ended, with credit given for partially correct answers. My general strategy usually involved writing down as many of the equations I could remember and just solving them all in the hope that one of them would give me a useable answer, and worst comes to worst, would be partial credit-worthy. This strategy actually worked better than one might expect, I got a 78 on my first ever general chemistry exam (before the curve).
The night before the second exam, I was up late studying, as I had yet to learn that actually being well rested for an exam would be more helpful than a late night cram session. Once I finally went to be at about 4 am, I set the alarm on my cell phone for 9 am, leaving myself 20 minutes to walk across campus to the exam, which went from 9:30 to 10:45. I awoke the next morning feeling groggy and was struck immediately with the sickening feeling I had slept through the exam.
I turned the phone over; 7 am. Plenty of time left to sleep. My alarm was still set, there was no reason to worry. I rolled over and went back to sleep, reassured that it was all in my head. I woke up again a few hours later, now not worried at all about missing the exam. I felt surprisingly well rested. I casually rolled over and flipped over my phone to check the time.
10:20 am.
I was late, extremely so, and there was no make-up exam. I pulled on my clothes and just barely remembered to grab my calculator and a pencil as I sprinted out the door. I don’t think I even locked it.
The walk to the chemistry building took fifteen minutes. I lived all the way on the opposite side of UConn’s huge campus. Sufficiently motivated, I think I made it at a dead sprint in 5.
I ran, panting into the lecture hall at 10:30, almost an hour late. The TA gave me an exam, but she warned me that it was not possible to finish the exam in just 15 minutes, and that no extra time could be given.
I sat down with the exam. It was extremely difficult. Without any time to think, I just scribbled down the first answers I could think of to each problem. Without the time I usually enjoyed to experiment with many equations, all I could do was guess which one I thought fit best and work through it.
I did finish that exam, but I was terrified to see how low my grade was. Whenever they announced the grades, they would give you a range of the lowest and highest grades. I had never been the lowest, but I had the sad, sickening feeling that mine might make an appearance this time. The last lowest grade had been an 18%, and I assume that person had to fail. Math might not have been my strong point, but I was aware that an 18/100 lowered your average considerably.
The next week, the professor stopped class early to hand out the graded exams. The lowest grade was a 22%. I was pretty sure it would be mine. She called each person’s name and had them collect their exam. In a class of 50, it took a while. Finally she got to my name.
I walked up to the front of the class, defeated and expecting the worst. The professor was inscrutable as she handed me my exam. I flipped the exam over and looked for the red number in the top right corner.

78/100.

P.S. Parks and Rec is my favorite show....

No comments:

Post a Comment